When you are in the area, check out the hikes given by the local hiking clubs.
All hikes are run by volunteers. Most have their hike schedule on the web.
Before you go on a hike as a guest,
- Call the leader to make sure that the hike is appropriate for guests in general and for you, in particular,
- Bring the right gear for the hike,
- Confirm the time and location of the meeting point,
- Get to the meeting point 15 minutes before,
- If you get a ride to the trailhead from another hiker, be prepared to chip in for the cost of the ride. Have several small bills handy,
- Thank the leader at the end of the hike.
- If you have gone on more than two hikes with a club, it is time to join the club.
Appalachian Trail Conservancy - Dedicated to the conservation of the A.T.
Carolina Berg Wanderers - Hiking club based in Charlotte
Carolina Mountain Club - Hiking club based in Asheville
Chargers and Rechargers -Hiking Club based in Boone
Friends of the MST - Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail
Georgia ATC -Hiking club based in Atlanta
High Country Hikers - Hiking club based in Hendersonville
Hikers of Iredell County - Hiking club based in Statesville and Mooresville
Nantahala Hiking Club -Hiking club based in Franklin
Smoky Mountains Hiking Club - Hiking club based in Knoxville
Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club - Hiking club based E. TN and SW VA